A cool refreshing beverage for summer time and outdoor picnics, this cocktail is full of mint and juice with the added touch of orange bitters. Leave out the vodka and add more ginger ale for a kid friendly version.
If you’ve been reading along here for a while, you know that most Fridays will find us out in our Drascombe Longboat sailing around the channels and little islands offshore Abu Dhabi. We pack a picnic lunch that almost invariably includes sticky wings and snorkers in Thermoses. (Thermi?) In addition to the beer, cider and soft drinks in the cooler, occasionally we bring along a jug of rum punch, essential on Trafalgar Day, or Bloody Marys or Pimm’s. But mint has completely taken over my flowerbeds, so last weekend, I mixed up a batch of this cardinal punch.
There are a thousand recipes for cardinal punch on the interwebs, some calling for red wine, others for cranberry juice but I used this one from Celebrations.com as my jumping off point. I couldn’t find anything cranberry but drink in my nearby supermarket so I ended up substituting fresh, unsweetened pomegranate juice instead, for a very refreshing cocktail to sip on the beach.
Lots of mint - put more or less as your supply moves you
2 cups or 480ml pomegranate or cranberry juice (not drink!)
1 cup or 240ml orange juice
1 oz or 30ml fresh lemon juice
2 cups or 480ml vodka
2 cups or 480ml ginger ale
Give your mint a good wash and spin to dry then pick the leaves off of the thick stems. It's so dusty here in Dubai that this step is essential.
Cut the lemon and orange into thin slices.
Mix your juices together in a big jug with the vodka. Add the mint, some ice and the orange and lemon slices.
Finally, add in the ginger ale, a few generous shakes of the orange bitters and stir.
If you are transporting the drink to a picnic spot, pack the sliced citrus slices in an airtight container and put all the other ingredients into a clean bottle, except the ice, and pack some plastic cups. Mine fit into one 1.5 liter water bottle plus a little 330ml water bottle. Not sure why the orange bitters were still in the picture because I had already shaken quite a bit of that good stuff into the drink.
Keep the bottle in a cooler with ice and serve the drink glass by glass, adding ice and a slice each of orange and lemon then pouring in the punch. Make sure each glass gets some mint as well.
Many thanks to T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley for hosting this week’s Sunday Supper where we are having a huge virtual picnic!
Check out all the great picnic fare!
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma's Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma's Stuff by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline's Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
|Our favorite picnic spot on a little island we call HMS Log. That's Abu Dhabi city in the background.|