This month my Foodie Extravaganza group is bringing you loads of chocolate recipes, both sweet and savory, in celebration of National Chocolate Day at the end of October. I’m not a big sweet eater but I am fond of chocolate when it is either dark, semi-sweet or paired with caramel. A dark or semi-sweet chocolate caramel combination would be ideal, especially with pecans. Which brings us to my recipe.
These guys are sooooo good.
2 cups or 250g flour
1/2 cup or 63g confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup or 85g unsalted butter, chilled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 14-ounce or 397g can sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup or 115g pecans, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup or 150g semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup or 165g toffee-and-chocolate candy (such as chopped up Heath bars)
1 cup or 50g mini marshmallows
Heat oven to 350°F or 180°C and prepare your 9 x 13 inch or 23 x 33cm pan by greasing it or lining it with baking parchment. Personally, I'm a fan of the parchment.
Cut the chilled butter into cubes and put it in a food processor with the flour, confectioners' sugar, and salt. Pulse until the dough just starts to hang together.
Use your clean hands to press the dough firmly into your prepared pan.
Bake until golden around the edges, about 12-15 minutes.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, egg, and vanilla. Pour the filling over the baked crust.
Sprinkle on the marshmallows first, then the chopped pecans, chocolate chips, and toffee pieces putting some of each until you’ve used up all of them.
Bake until the filling is set, the edges are golden brown, and the marshmallows are melted, about 25 minutes.
Cool completely and cut into bars. If you live in a warm climate, you might want to keep these in the refrigerator.
How will you celebrate National Chocolate Day? I’d like to recommend making a few of these. Many thanks to our host this month, Kathleen from Fearlessly Creative Mammas.
- 2 Kiss Cupcakes from Sneha's Recipe
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Not Too Shabby Gabby
- Chile Ancho Sopa de Chocolate from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Blintzes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Lovers Dream Cake from Cookin and Craftin
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Rugelach from Hardly a Goddess
- Crispy Chocolate Surprise Balls from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Hot Fudge Cheesecake Brownies from Cookaholic Wife
- Kahlua Chocolate Cake from Making Miracles
- Marshmallow Turtle Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Nutty Chocolate Fudge from Basic N Delicious
- Queen Anne Squares from Tara's Multicultural Table
- Simple Chocolate Cake from Passion Kneaded
- Slow Cooker Chicken Mole from Caroline's Cooking
- Triple Chocolate and Cream Trifle from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
Foodie Extravaganza celebrates obscure food holidays or shares recipes with the same ingredient or theme every month.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook group Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you!
If you're a reader looking for delicious recipes, check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out here.