Doing a little research on one of my favorite appetizers, the jalapeño popper, I discovered that some form of deep-fried cheese-stuffed jalapeño has been around since at least the 1960s, where it was being served in restaurants in Baja California, specifically Ensenada, which Wikipedia informs me is nicknamed La Cenicienta del Pacífico or Cinderella of the Pacific. With no further information on that, by the way. Is it because Ensenada is the pretty stepsister that everyone abuses? Does it have sister cities that get better press despite their ugliness? A little further reading revealed that Ensenada does indeed have sister cities: Newport Beach, Redondo Beach and Riverside. Each pretty and amazing in its own right. So, no wiser about the nickname, let’s just get on to the recipe. (And this is why your teachers tell you not to use Wikipedia as a reference, people: Gaps.)
This week Sunday Supper turns one year old! In celebration of that momentous occasion, we have each chosen a recipe from another #SundaySupper blogger that caught our fancy during the past year, to give it a try. Our Dubai weather has turned a bit chilly in the last couple of days (Yeah, I know, not actually chilly when compared to northern climes but BBC Weather is projecting a low of 45°F or 7°C on Wednesday night! That’s COLD for us, folks!) so I chose to adapt a wonderfully warming recipe from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, based on the aforementioned favorite, jalapeño poppers. I left in the seeds and membranes from the peppers so that upped the warmth factor quite a bit. This chili gets a 10 out of 10 at our house and I will definitely be making it again. Perhaps even for Super Bowl Sunday. I’m kind of even thinking it could be eaten as a hot dip with tortilla chips. It’s that seriously good.
1 small onion
1 red bell pepper
4 fresh jalapeño peppers
4 garlic cloves
1 1/4 lb or 600g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 (15 oz or 425g) can diced or chopped tomatoes in juice
1 1/2 cups or 355ml chicken broth
2 cans (14 oz or 400g each) cannellini beans
2 cups or 300g frozen corn
8 oz or 225g cream cheese
5 slices bacon
1/2 cup or 50g sharp cheddar cheese
Handful green onion tops, optional for garnish
Cut the stem end off of your jalapeños. If you want to remove the seeds and membranes, to lessen the spicy factor, cut the peppers in half lengthwise and scrape them out with a teaspoon.
Cut your onion into halves. Cut the tops off of the red bell pepper or capsicum Remove the seeds and membrane. Cut it into quarters.
Pop all three into your food processor along with the cloves of garlic or chop them all with a sharp knife, until they are finely minced.
In a pot large enough to eventually hold all of your ingredients, sauté the vegetable mixture in a good drizzle of olive oil for about five to seven minutes, or until they are soft and the onion is translucent.
Cut your chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season them lightly with salt and black pepper.
Drain and rinse your cans of cannellini beans.
Push the vegetables to the side of the pot and add in the pieces of chicken. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides.
Add in the chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir to thoroughly coat the chicken with the spices and vegetables.
Add the can of chopped tomatoes, rinsed beans and corn to the chicken pot. Stir well and then add the chicken stock. When it starts bubbling again, lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Meanwhile, grate your sharp cheddar cheese and fry your bacon until crispy. Cut the bacon into little pieces. Chop your onion tops, if using.
Cut your cream cheese in slices if it comes in one big block. Smaller pieces will melt faster into the chili. As you can see from my photo, our cream cheese, brand name: Kiri, comes in small blocks so, while it was a process to open up enough little packets, the cutting was not necessary.
Add in the cream cheese and stir until it is completely melted, about five minutes. Remove from heat.
Ladle the chili into a bowl and top with crumbled bacon and cheese, adding a sprinkle of chopped onion tops for color, if desired.
Have a look at some of the other Happy Birthday, #SundaySupper dishes that are being posted today! So much deliciousness!
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.