When I was a young girl, I didn’t know anyone with a food allergy. By the time my own babies came along and grew to school-age, a couple of their classmates were mildly allergic to nuts. Now it seems like allergies and intolerances are rampant and many have become life-threatening. Which is rather scary. I am in awe of the parents who work hard to make life normal for those children, working on recipes that eliminate the offending ingredients but still taste great.
Our host for this week’s Sunday Supper , Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen, is one such mom. Her daughters cannot eat milk sugar (lactose) in any form, so her blog is a fabulous dairy-free resource with delicious recipes. Most posts include photos of her adorable daughters offering their opinion on the dishes with one or two thumbs up, which means that Bea’s recipes are not only healthy but kid-friendly and approved. Which, I am sure you will agree, is very important to a successful Sunday Supper.
This week the Sunday Supper group explores “free-from” recipes, so there are tasty options for everyone, no matter what their food allergies or diet restrictions.
1 large or 2-3 small fennel bulbs, preferably with some fronds
1 small red onion
Juice of half a lemon
Cut the frond off of the fennel bulbs and set aside. Trim the tough stems and discard. Now cut the bulbs from top to bottom into slices which are a little skinnier than half an inch or 1 cm thick.
Slice the onion very thinly.
Put the onion in your salad bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Squeeze over the juice of your lemon. Set aside. This will take some of the sharpness out of the raw onion.
Heat your griddle pan till it is searing hot. Lay the fennel slices on the griddle and weigh them down with something heavy, like a full kettle. Cook for three to four minutes or until the fennel softens just slightly and there are lovely char marks on one side.
Turn the fennel slices over and weigh them down again. Cook for another three or four minutes, making sure to get some charred lines on the other side.
Remove the fennel to a cutting board and allow to cool.
Chop the grilled fennel up and add it to the salad bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Give the whole thing a good stir and add more salt, pepper and olive oil to taste.
Top with the chopped fennel fronds.
I served this alongside the smothered pork chops and potatoes from my recent Mothers' Day post. It is a great fresh complement to a rich meal.
Have a look at all the wonderful "free from" recipes this week. It's a fabulous round up of flavor!
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles bySmall Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The
Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food
Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
& Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement