Modeled after the secret menu drink from Starbucks called Liquid Cocaine, these crispy-edged chewy-inside cookies are full of espresso and white chocolate.
This month’s Creative Cookie Exchange ingredient is white chocolate, which I must admit is not my favorite. I find it rather sweet without the essential bitterness of the cacao. But matched with the strong espresso in the dough, this cookie balances that sweetness out beautifully.
A couple of years ago, for Muffin Monday, our ingredient was coffee so my younger daughter suggested that I research alternative Starbucks recipes and then turn one of them into a muffin. It was an excellent suggestion! I chose one called Liquid Cocaine, with four shots of espresso and four pumps of white chocolate. I couldn’t resist recreating it in cookie for this white chocolate challenge, sans the wild party pics, although I did add a little alcohol to the actual cookie.
|Party down with muffins: Liquid Cocaine (Espresso and White Chocolate) Muffins|
Ingredients for about two dozen cookies (I got 27.)
4 teaspoons espresso powder
1 tablespoon Kahlua
1 cup or 200g sugar
1/2 cup or 115g butter, at room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
2 cups or 250g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 oz or 170g good quality white chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli.)
Preheat your oven to 350°f or 180°C and prepare your cookie sheet by lining it with parchment or a silicone liner.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix your espresso powder in with the Kahlua till it dissolves.
In another larger bowl, measure out your dry ingredients and stir well.
Cream the butter with the sugar using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg.
Then add the Kahlua/espresso syrup and mix again until thoroughly combined.
Sift your dry ingredients into your batter and mix well.
Stir in the white chocolate chips.
Drop the dough in scoops on your prepared cookie sheet and bake for about 18-20 minutes. With the first pan to go in the oven, I pressed all but one of the balls down to flatten them. I wanted to see what that one ball would do.
These guys are crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle, which is pretty much my perfect cookie.
Many thanks to our organizer, Laura of The Spiced Life for this month’s white chocolate challenge. If you are a blogger and would like to join us for future challenges, scroll down after the link list to see how.
Check out all the great white chocolate cookie recipes we have for you this month!
- Black Bottomed Banana & White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Cashew and White Chocolate Chips Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Citrus Olive Oil Biscotti with White Chocolate Chunks from The Spiced Life
- Cookies and Cream Blondies from Sidewalk Shoes
- Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Japanese Yuzu Citrus Biscotti from NinjaBaker
- Key Lime White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Liquid Cocaine (Espresso-White Chocolate) Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies from Spice Roots
- Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips and Toffee Bits from A Baker's House
- Vanilla, Currant, and White Chocolate Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Lemon and Oats Cookies from Baking Yummies
- White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake Cookies from Made With Love
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Bars from Upstate Ramblings
- White Chocolate Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts. You can find all of them at The Spiced Life. We post a new cookie on the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!