thick mozzarella slices in the dough.
The whole family declared them the perfect lentil burgers. The problem was, how to recreate them without having to bake that bread again each time, lovely though it was.
I took apart the bread recipe, figured out about how much mozzarella must have been in the number of slices I used for the first perfect lentil burgers and then added that into the new patty mix with plain whole grain sandwich bread. Much to our delight, it worked. I’ve made these lentil burgers many times since and they are always one of the first things my younger daughter asks for when she comes home. Hope you enjoy them! Make sure to scroll down to see all the other lovely hamburger and hot dog recipes my Sunday Supper group is sharing today.
Ingredients – for four patties (about 7oz or 200g each – a substantial patty!)
4 slices whole grain sandwich bread
1/4 medium purple onion
3 1/2 oz or 100g mozzarella, grated
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne (I also use more. We like things spicy.)
Fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fine sea salt
1 cup or 210g uncooked (or about 2 1/2 cups or 485g cooked/rinsed) Puy lentils
(If you are cooking them, boil with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda till tender. Drain and rinse.)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and more for pan
Your favorite condiments – mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc. We like mayo with a little garlic and lemon juice added too.
Toast the slices of bread and cut them into cubes. Chop the onion up.
Process the toast cubes and the onion until the bread is in crumbs. Add the eggs and process until well combined.
Tip the mixture out into a bowl. Add the grated mozzarella and mix well. Add the smoked paprika, cayenne, a generous sprinkle sea salt and a few good grinds of black pepper. Mix well.
Add the rinsed, drained lentils and the extra virgin olive oil. Mix well.
Form into four patties.
Pan fry in non-stick pan or griddle with an extra drizzle of olive oil until golden on both sides, about 6-7 minutes a side should do it.
Serve with sliced tomatoes, onions and lettuce on a hamburger bun. You wanna put more cheese, you surely can but it's not necessary. We never do.
This week Sunday Supper is sharing a plethora of creative hamburger and hot dog recipes that you are going to love! Many thanks to our host Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures and our event manager Shelby of Grumpy's Honeybunch for all of their hard work.
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burgers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Whiskey Cheddar Burger by From Gate to Plate
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dogs by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Michigan Hot Dog by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Perfect Corn Dogs by My World Simplified
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Chicken Sate Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blue Cheese & Fig Burgers by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers with Balsamic Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Puka Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spicy Terimayo Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Hot Dogs with French Fries) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- California Dreaming Shrimp Burgers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip by Love and Confections
- Cheeseburger Salad by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- California Burger Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Dessert Hamburgers and Fries by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- Choose The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.