I know that is a strange name but I honestly couldn’t think of a better one. This gorgeous salad is made mostly with ingredients from your kitchen cupboards, with the exception of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and a little onion. And perhaps a bit of chopped basil. But look at the colors!
It’s great for a buffet table or to bring to a potluck because this salad just gets better after it sits a while. So forgiving, beautiful and delicious.
- 1/4 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice or vinegar
- 10.5 oz or 300g red grape tomatoes (I used NatureSweet Cherubs.)
- 10.5 oz or 300g yellow grape tomatoes (I used NatureSweet Sunbursts.)
- 1 jar (12 oz or 240g) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 can (drained weight 6 oz or 170g) pitted black olives
- 1 can (15 oz or 425g) chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 8 oz or 226g fresh ciliegine or cherry size mozzarella balls
- 1 can (14 oz or 400g – 7.5 oz or 212g drained) hearts of palm
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- A few leaves of fresh basil (optional)
Slice your red onion very thinly and add to a salad bowl that will be big enough for all of your ingredients. Pour in the juice or vinegar and set aside for a few minutes.
Open the jar of marinated artichokes and add them to the onion, with all of their marinade, along with the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Drain the cans of olives and chickpeas, rinsing the chickpeas if necessary, and add them to the salad bowl.
Drain the can of palm hearts and cut into pieces about the size of your tomatoes.
Add them into the bowl.
Toss and then sprinkle the whole bowl with sea salt. Add black pepper to taste.
If you are adding basil, stack the leaves, roll them up and slice them thinly. Add to the salad and toss again. (This salad did actually have basil but, unfortunately, I wasn’t able to photograph that step.)
Bring to your sister’s house for a barbecue or wherever you have been fortunate enough to be invited.
|My mom took this one showing a little of the basil. Thanks, Mom!|
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!