This spicy, extra cheesy baked corn dip with shrimp will become a party favorite. For a vegetarian version, substitute chopped black olives for the shrimp.
Today is the biggest game day of the season for those who follow American football. It’s the championship they call the Super Bowl and it’s a pretty big deal even for folks who don’t have a team they normally support in the game. Over the years, we’ve woken up at some pretty bizarre times to watch the Super Bowl, because live television was the only way to catch the action. Now, with one-click record at the ready, we can watch at our leisure the next day, at a decent time and eat things like chips and dip. (Nobody but me feels like chips and dip at 3 a.m., which is such a shame.) Anyhoo, I’m just here to tell you that I will be scarce on social media on Sunday evening and Monday, until we can watch the recording, because folks do persist in giving blow-by-blow accounts of the game as it is played and I don’t want to find out like that! Sort of ruins the fun, I’m sure you will agree.
What I wouldn’t mind a blow-by-blow of, on the other hand, is what you are serving so feel free to share those leading up to the game! The best part of Super Bowl watching parties is always the food and drink. If you are still dithering over what to make, the Sunday Supper group has got you covered with 50 great recipes for any game day! I can highly recommend this cheesy corn dip with shrimp. I brought it out sailing yesterday and even at room temperature, it got rave reviews.
12 oz or 340g shrimp or prawns, already peeled and cleaned
4 cups or 625g frozen corn, thawed (and drained, if necessary)
Small bunch green onions (Mine weighed about 1 2/3 oz or 45g.)
1 large red chili pepper
12 oz or 340g extra sharp cheddar
1/2 cup or 110g mayonnaise
2 1/2 oz or 70g cream cheese, at room temperature
Freshly ground black pepper
For serving: Tortilla chips for dipping
If you have a pan that can go from stovetop to oven, use it. Otherwise, we’ll do the first steps in a skillet and then transfer everything to an ovenproof dish for baking.
In your pan of choice, cook the shrimp with a drizzle of olive oil until they are just cooked through.
In the same pan over high heat, add another drizzle of oil and fry the corn until it gets a little browned or even charred, stirring every once in a while to keep it from sticking.
|My lighting is poor but it really does have browndy bits.|
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F or 180°C.
Mince your onion, green onions, red chili and jalapeño and grate your cheddar cheese.
When the corn has some nice browned bits on it, remove it from the pan and set aside to cool a little.
Add yet another drizzle of olive oil to that same pan and, over a medium heat, sauté the chopped onions and peppers until everything is soft and the onions are translucent. This will take about 10 minutes. Stir regularly to avoid the onions scorching.
Remove the pan from the heat and add in the corn, chopped shrimp, cream cheese, mayonnaise and about two-thirds of the grated cheddar. Give the whole thing a good couple of grinds of fresh black pepper. Stir well to combine.
If your pan is ovenproof, spread the mixture out evenly and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Otherwise, transfer to a baking dish and do the same.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes in your preheated oven or until the dip is melted and the cheese on top is bubbling. Don’t bake it too long or the oil starts to separate out of the cheese.
Serve with tortilla chips for scooping up big bites of the dip.
Check out all the delicious party food we’ve got for you this week. Appetizers, main courses and sweet treats – there’s something for everyone here. Many thanks to this week’s Sunday Supper host, Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks! And may your own favorite team win!
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu's Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma's Meals
- Jalapeño Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida's Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin' Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian "Chorizo" and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S'mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.