Crisp dry white wine, mixed with a little lemon vodka and Grand Marnier, then topped up with lemon-lime soda and lots of pretty fruit, makes a refreshing libation for summertime.
This week Sunday Supper is remembering all those who made the ultimate sacrifice in our armed forces, just ahead of Memorial Day tomorrow, by showing off our red, white and/or blue recipes. Even as you feast and enjoy the extra day’s holiday – if you are living in the US, that is – we hope you will be inspired to honor military personnel from every country who died to preserve our freedoms, including those who put themselves in harm’s way to bring aid to the needy and try to ensure safety and peace in troubled regions worldwide. (Did you know that there are more than 30 countries whose flags are red, white and blue?) Unlike Veteran's Day, which honors the service of all soldiers, Memorial Day is especially to recognize those who gave their lives.
Many thanks to this week’s host, the great DB from Crazy Foodie Stunts. Make sure you scroll on down to the bottom of my post to see all the colorful recipes we are sharing today.
Let me introduce this sangria ingredient list with a disclaimer. When I told my husband that I was making sangria and, did he want some, he said, “Nah, thanks. I’ll just have a cold beer.” Well, I’m all for taking one for the team, particularly my Sunday Supper group, but drinking an entire one-wine-bottle batch of sangria seemed ill-advised, so the amounts you see here photographed are for half of the recipe I share below. And, yes, I did drink the whole darn half pitcher over the course of a hot afternoon! It was refreshing and delicious.
1 bottle dry white wine (My favorite white is Sauvignon Blanc, both for sangria and drinking in general.)
1/3 cup or 80ml Grand Marnier
1/4 cup or 60ml lemon vodka
3 cups or 710ml lemon-lime soda (Two of the 12 oz or 355ml cans.)
6 oz or 170g raspberries
4.4oz or 125g blueberries
1 dragon fruit
Starting at least a day ahead, wash some of the blueberries and raspberries and put three blueberries and one raspberry in several of the holes of a muffin pan. For a more decorative look, I used the Nordic Ware one known online as the Bundt Brownie pan. <affiliate link Add a little water, until you see the blueberries just barely start to float.
Put the pan in the freezer and leave until the water freezes enough to hold the fruit in place.
Top up with more water and freeze until solid.
When you are ready to serve, peel and slice your dragon fruit and cut it into pieces about the size of your raspberries and blueberries. Wash the berries and drain well.
In a pitcher, combine your wine, vodka and Grand Marnier.
Add your fruity ice (or just some normal ice) and then top up with the lemon-lime soda.
Add in more raspberries, blueberries and some of the cut dragon fruit. Put some berries and dragon fruit and ice in each glass and fill up with sangria.
And make sure to check out all the other great red, white and/or blue recipes we have for you today.
Food Using One Color
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Food Using Two Colors
Red and White Food
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
Red, White and Blue Food
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma's Meals
- Berry Filled Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess by Caroline's Cooking
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Loaded Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red, White, and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.