I’m not going to give you a big song and dance story today about me and my avid relationship with bacon because no one should have to wait for bacon! My love of bacon has been fairly well documented, to the point that friends and family often send me links to bacon recipes or bacon roses, for which I am grateful. When I read that bacon was chosen as this week’s Sunday Supper theme, I sat down and wrote a list of possible recipes I’d like to share. SO MANY CHOICES. Then I headed to the grocery store.
My list went out the window when I came across the shrimp. Large and luscious, they cried out to be wrapped in bacon! Because my brain works in mysterious ways, I was already picturing them all lined up and skewered so they'd remain upright and their tails would curl up in the oven, creating the perfect little handles with which to eat them.
And so it was.
For the bacon-wrapped shrimp:
22 large shrimp – about 1.15kg or 2 1/2 lbs - before cleaning and peeling
1 lb or 450g bacon (normal, not thick cut)
3-4 hot chili peppers, cut into thin strips
Small handful chives, cut into pieces about the length of your shrimp
Extra equipment: wooden skewers
For the spicy bacon mayo dipping sauce:
1/2 cup or 125g mayonnaise
1 tablespoon bacon/shrimp drippings from baking pan
1 small clove garlic, grated finely
1 teaspoon or more hot sauce
1 tablespoon chopped chives
Preheat your oven to 425°F or 218°C.
Peel and clean all the shrimp but leave the tails on.
Use a sharp knife to split the thick part of the shrimp so that they are open enough to put in one or two strips of pepper (depending on your heat threshold) and a couple of pieces of chive.
Cut the bacon slices in half.
Wrap one half bacon slice around each shrimp and secure it with a wooden skewer, cut side up.
Continue wrapping and skewering all the shrimp, cut side up, making sure to leave space between the shrimp.
Place the shrimp in one or more ovenproof pans. The tails should have enough space to curl up as the shrimp cook, creating the little handles I imagined.
Bake in your preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is golden and crunchy looking.
When the spicy bacon-wrapped shrimp are done, whisk together all the dipping sauce ingredients.
Serve with warm shrimp.
Many thanks to our event manager, Shelby of Grumpy’s Honeybunch and Erica of The Crumby Cupcake for all of their hard work behind the scenes. Check out all the wonderful bacon recipes my Sunday Supper group are sharing today!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeño Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And don't forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter to get delicious recipes delivered to your inbox every Thursday.