This month my Bread Bakers are creating sweet breads without refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. Our host Mayuri of Mayuri’s Jikoni limited us to natural sweeteners like maple syrup, honey, blackstrap molasses, dates, banana puree, coconut sugar, balsamic glaze, brown sugar syrup, real fruit jam made without any sugar, stevia or palm jaggery. Further, she said NO SUGAR - white, brown, demerara, turbinado, muscovado, etc- . to be used in the bake.
Trying to use what I have on hand, I decided that honey was the way to go. I’m in the Channel Islands right now so I am also fortunate to have ready access to alcohol, unlike at home in Dubai where one must have a license to purchase (and mine has expired.) The first thing we buy is some traditional English cider, often called hard cider in the United States. It's tart and dry with a little sweetness.
3 cups or 375g flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons honey
12 oz or 355ml cider, at room temperature
1/2 cup or 113g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Preheat your oven to 350°F or 180°C.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In another smaller bowl, add the honey to half of the melted butter.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
Pour half of the remaining melted butter into the loaf pan.
Spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the rest of the butter on top of the batter. Jersey butter comes by its color naturally, from the beta-carotene in the grass the cows eat.
Use a pastry brush to spread it around.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, cover with foil and continue baking until done.
Cool for a few minutes in the pan and then turn the loaf out on to a wire rack to cool.
Slice and enjoy!
Check out all the wonderful naturally sweetened breads we have for you today! Many thanks to Mayuri of Mayuri’s Jikoni for hosting.
- Blackberries and Honey Bread by Kidsandchic
- Cheddar Honey Flowers by Ambrosia
- Cider Honey Quick Loaf by Food Lust People Love
- Date and Chai Muffins by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Date Sweetened Banana Bread by Herbivore Cucina
- Eggless Banana Chocochip Bread with Cranberries and Coconut Sugar by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Eggless Carrot Coconut Quick Bread by Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Eggless Wholewheat Maple Banana Oat Muffins by Spill the Spices
- Einkorn Drop Biscuits with Peaches and Blueberries by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- English Granary-Style No Knead Bread by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Grape Bread by The Bread She Bakes
- Healthy Banana & Blueberry Bread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Honey Almond Banana Muffins by Baking Yummies
- Honey Cornbread by Magnolia Days
- Honey Oat Pain de Mie by Hostess At Heart
- Honey Pineapple Pull-Apart Rolls by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Jackfruit Honey Bread by The Schizo Chef
- Jackfruit Semolina Muffins with Jaggery by My Cooking Journey
- Mangalore Buns by Sneha's Recipe
- Maple Bacon Cheddar & Pickle Pull-Apart Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Maple Pecan Scones by Cook's Hideout
- Maple Oatmeal Bread by A Baker's House
- Pain au Levain avec Banane by What Smells So Good?
- Tangerine Honey White Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.